Friday, February 5, 2010

128 Days: hair

I haven't had my hair cut since July. Partly because I'm cheap frugal, but mostly because I just haven't gotten around to setting up an appointment and getting a babysitter.

Needless to say, my hair was becoming quite difficult - even in a pony tail - so I planned on just going to one of the walk-in places this morning and getting it trimmed and thinned out. They couldn't do a worse job than the last time I got it cut and I just wanted it done with.

Long story short, one thing after another happened and I didn't get out of the house in time before it started snowing.

And snowing.

And snowing.

Within two hours we were under a Level 1 snow emergency. It took Neal 30 minutes to get to the Kroger that is literally five minutes away from here. Getting my hair cut is not worth the hassel of dealing with panicking people facing snOMG 2010!*

Instead, I puttered around the house while lamenting over my highly annoying hair.

Then it hit me.

I'll just do it myself, darn it!

Kasen wasn't so sure when I told him of my plans:

my hair!
"You're going to do what!?"

I've cut other people's hair forever and have spent years watching different techniques and was confident that I understood the process. I hopped online to see if I could glean any tips, broke out my scissors and went to town.

I brushed. I flipped. I trimmed. I thinned.

(Note to self: When using thinning shears, make sure you actually grab the thinning shears and not the regular scissors BEFORE you start cutting a big chunk out of the middle of your head.)

And in the end...

cut my hair

It turned out great! And I saved $30!

(I guess we know where Kasen gets his blue eyes from!)

(Where did all those wrinkles come from? Stupid aging.)

(Speaking of aging, my birthday is Sunday. More wrinkles!)

*totally stolen from someone on twitter. cracked me up.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crikey! That looks amazing! You even have layers! Man, I wish you lived closer so you could cut mine. I had the same idea yesterday and went to have my hair cut (no snow to worry about here) but the lady cut it a little to short so now I'm pregnant, hormonal and have a hair cut I'm not happy with. Bad combo! :-)

    ReplyDelete